Oh wait, it IS our job. For this one we combined a can of pumpkin, curry powder, onion, and ginger to make a creamy base for tender red lentils. A dollop of yogurt and some roasted salted cashews make it taste great and look pretty while Hot Bread Kitchen’s naan is the perfect vehicle for scraping the bottom of the bowl. Cook, relax and enjoy!
What you'll need: 1 large onion or 2 medium onions 1.5 oz fresh ginger 1 Tbsp curry powder 15-oz can pumpkin 2 8-oz vegetable broth ¾ cup red lentils 1 lime 2 pieces Hot Bread Kitchen naan 7 oz 2% Greek yogurt 1.5 oz roasted salted cashews fresh cilantro sprigs olive oil coarse salt freshly ground black pepper
Equipment: box grater zester medium saucepan
1. Prepare vegetables: Halve onion and discard skin. Working over a plate, grate onion all the way to the root on a box grater. Peel ginger and finely grate using a zester.
2. Sauté aromatics: Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium high. Add ginger, grated onion and any accumulated juices and 1½ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until aromatic and starting to stick to bottom of pan, about 3 minutes.
3. Build soup: Add curry powder and cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Whisk in pumpkin until evenly incorporated, then whisk in broth and 3 cups water. Season with ¾ teaspoon salt and bring to a simmer.
4. Add lentils: When soup is simmering, add lentils and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, about 15 minutes. Half lime and squeeze half into soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Warm naan: Preheat broiler with rack in top position. Broil naan directly on rack, flipping once, until heated through, about 1 minute. Whisk 3 tablespoons water into yogurt and season with a pinch of salt. Roughly chop cashews. Pick leaves and tender stems from cilantro.
6. Serve: Thin soup with a little water if necessary before serving. Serve soup with a dollop of yogurt, topped with cashews, cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve warm naan alongside for dipping. Enjoy!