These burgers pack plenty of omega 3s, and get their vibrant flavor from horseradish, dijon mustard and fresh dill. A creamy avocado aioli stands in as the special sauce, and lettuce replaces the bun for a refreshing crunch. A slice of heirloom tomato on the side rounds out this dish and gives it a beautiful burst of color.
What you'll need:
12 ounces salmon burger meat
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 dill sprigs
1 small clove garlic
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 large heirloom tomato
1 small head green leaf lettuce
freshly ground black pepper
Prep burger filling
Remove fronds from dill sprigs (reserving a few for garnish) and finely chop (2 tablespoons). Cut shallot in half, remove ends, skin and finely chop. Mix together salmon, horseradish, mustard, dill, and shallot until the mixture starts to stick together. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
2. Form burgers into 2 patties, each about 4 inches wide.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add burgers and cook until browned on bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook 3 minutes on the other side. Remove from heat.
4. Remove skin from garlic and finely chop. Cut lemon in half and squeeze the juice out of half. Cut the other half into wedges. Wash and dry lettuce leaves well.
5. Cut avocado in half and remove pit. Scoop flesh into a bowl and mash with a fork.
Stir lemon juice, mayonnaise, and garlic into avocado.
6. Slice tomato and divide among two plates then drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Divide lettuce among two plates and top with avocado aioli. Place burgers on top of the aioli and squeeze lemon over the top. Garnish with extra dill and lemon wedges. Enjoy!